Sunday, August 30, 2009

RIP DJ AM

I don't have a clue why this has upset me so much, but I cannot believe DJ AM died. I'd read things about him, especially after the horrific plane crash he barely survived last year, and it seemed like he was a genuinely awesome human being. He cared about his sobriety, and he cared about others' sobriety. I was so impressed that he'd been sober for so long, and his dedication to helping other people get sober was incredible. I've seen what a drug addiction can do to someone, and that made his recovery that much more impressive.

Something happened to him that we may never know about, and that something made him give it up. I have been wondering all day if this was just the first day of a relapse, or if this had been happening for a few days. Depending on what you read and what conclusions you draw, it seems like he was only using again for a few days at most. Was he angry with himself for giving in? Or was he at a point where he didn't care?

My heard just breaks for him. That he died alone, in a way that I'm sure he would never have wanted to go, makes me so very, very sad. His demons got the better of him, but they are quiet now. May his soul find the peace that he deserves. Godspeed, DJ AM.

No comments: